We all know the drill; the nightmare of having to get to the airport 3 hours early. For most people, this is because they are anxious about the queues at security or because,you know, you believe pre-flight beers are essential. This does not have to be the case. It has never taken me more than 5 minutes at security so I will share my tips with you so you have more time for duty free or for those sweet ‘holiday starts now’ cocktails.
- Keep your passport and boarding pass out. These are required before you go into security so it’s best to have them out ready.
- Put ALL your liquids in a clear bag BEFORE you leave for the airport. This speeds up the process so much as you don’t have to rummage through your bag to make sure you have everything. Make sure no item contains more than 100ml of liquid.
- Adding on from this, make sure that you empty your water bottle before going through security. An empty plastic bottle is fine. One filled with liquid is not.
- Make sure all your electronic items are easily accessible so these can quickly be put into the trays. These include laptops, tablets and mobile phones.
- When you are finally in the queue, do not join the one with several families. Instead follow business people. As a rule, they are normally well prepared and as a result, are a lot quicker at getting through security than others.
- Make sure you take your shoes and coat off and if you are wearing any metal (belts, jewellery) then remove it before going through the scanner.
- And finally, make sure you are familiar with what is allowed in each country and their rules. This can easily be done with a quick Google.
Hopefully this helps you to get through security quicker than usual and makes the whole airport routine a little less stressful.
P.S. I take no responsibility for anyone not allowed on their flight because they enjoyed too many beers in their spare time.